In the recently announced 2020 edition of The Legal 500, Swinburne Maddison LLP have had a highly successful year ranking across seven categories, including ranking top tier in two categories, maintaining in four and a new ranking in Commercial Litigation.
Martyn and the Corporate and Commercial team have had a successful year working on a number of matters including:
- acting on behalf of Maven, one of the UK’s largest fund managers, in relation to a co-investment from the Finance Durham Fund and the North East Fund in Dyer Engineering, the largest independent engineering business in County Durham;
- the restructure of an extensive group of companies (with a group wide turnover of circa £50m) with various joint venture considerations to achieve both corporate and personal improved tax efficiencies; and
- the refinancing of an SPV incorporated to progress the development of a site of 100+ residential homes, to be built near Bishop Auckland, County Durham.
Victoria and the Commercial Property team had success in the following matters:
- negotiating a collaboration agreement regarding the promotion and development of c500 hectares of land to the north of Darlington, County Durham for approximately 4500 houses
- acting on behalf of a number of registered providers of social housing in relation to the acquisition of affordable housing elements of various residential development sites as well as the acquisition of complete sites for those clients;
- acting on behalf of a large regional construction company in the sale of a business park subject to a number of commercial leases; and
- acting for purchaser and lender in the acquisition of mixed use properties in Durham City subject to commercial and residential leases with a value in excess of £3million.
It has been an incredibly successful year elsewhere in the firm too as we were ranked in each category applied for – Employment, Personal Wills, Trusts & Probate, Family, Property Litigation and Commercial Litigation.
Associate Solicitor Abigail Zuk, was recognised as a Rising Star in the 2019 edition for her work in Commercial Litigation. Described as having a “…very organised approach, offering clients a lot of reassurance”, Abigail is a key member of the Dispute Resolution team and was instrumental to being newly ranked in this category.
Head of the Family team Kath Hill, was named as a Leading Individual and described as a ‘well-respected and experienced’ practice head. An accredited mediator and collaborative lawyer, with over 20 years’ experience in her field, we are delighted to see Kath’s hard work and dedication to her clients recognised in this way.