A Premises Licence (or a Club Premises Certificate in the case of a Members Club) is a permanent licence granted to a specific location under the Licensing Act 2003. It authorises the licence holder to carry out certain activities at that location.

Why do I need a premises licence?

If you provide or offer one or more of the following activities then you will require a Premises Licence:

  • Sales of alcohol;
  • Regulated entertainment (e.g. plays, film exhibitions, indoor sporting events, live music, playing of recorded music for an audience etc)
  • Late night refreshment (the supply of hot food or hot drink to the public for consumption on or off the premises, between the hours of 11pm and 5am)
How long will the process take?

As every premises and set of circumstances are unique there is no set timeline for the application process however we would expect a “typical” application to take around 1 to 3 months providing there are no objections to that application.

Can I vary my Premises Licence once it has been granted?

Yes, a Premises Licence can be varied to allow for longer opening hours or changes to personnel. An application will need to be made to the relevant licensing authority to vary any aspect of the Premises Licence once granted.

Can I transfer my Premises License once granted?

Yes, a premises licence may be transferred to another licence holder but not transferred to another premises.

For pricing information in relation to our Premises Licensing Application services, please click here.  

If you require assistance with a Premises Licence Application or have any queries or concerns with regard to a Premises Licence, please contact Gillian Moir, Managing Associate at the firm and qualified Licensing Law specialist, on 0191 384 2441 or on

Request a call back

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.