Meeting Room Window

Complaints Procedure


We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service and to dealing with all our clients fairly. We acknowledge that we may not always get it right so if something has gone wrong, including in relation to the bill, we need you to tell us.


How do I make a complaint?

You can contact us in writing (by letter or email) addressed to Jonathan Moreland, our client care partner, at:


Swinburne Maddison

Venture House

Aykley Heads Business Centre

Aykley Heads




Please note that we do not accept complaints via fax, through our website or through social media.


1.  To help us to understand your complaint, and in order that we do not miss anything, please tell us:

  • your full name and contact details;
  • what you think we have got wrong;
  • what you hope to achieve as result of your complaint; and
  • your file reference number (if you have it).


2.  If you require any help in making your complaint we will try to help you.


What will happen next?

  1. We will record your complaint centrally.


  1. We will send you a letter acknowledging receipt of your complaint within three working days, enclosing a copy of this procedure.


  1. We will investigate your complaint. This will normally involve reviewing your file and speaking to the member of staff who has acted for you.


  1. We may also need to ask you for further information or documents. If so, we will ask you to provide the information within a specific period of time.


  1. We will update you on the progress of your complaint at appropriate times.


  1. We will send you a detailed written reply to your complaint, including suggestions for resolving the matter, within 21 days of sending you the acknowledgement letter.


  1. If you are unsatisfied with the response, you should contact us again within 7 days and we will arrange for another Partner to review the decision.


  1. We will write to you within 14 days of receiving your request for a review, confirming our final position on your complaint and explaining our reasons.


What if I am not satisfied with the outcome?

If you are still unsatisfied, you can contact The Legal Ombudsman about your complaint. For further information, you should contact the Legal Ombudsman on 0300 555 0333 or at or at The Legal Ombudsman:


PO Box 6806




1.  You must usually refer your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within 6 months of our final written response to your complaint and within 6 years of the act or omission about which you are complaining (or within 3 years of you becoming aware of it). Further details are available on the website:


2.  Alternative complaints bodies (such as Ombudsman Services, ProMediate and Small Claims Mediation) exist which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services should both you and our firm wish to use such a scheme. We have however, chosen not to adopt an ADR process. If, therefore, you wish to complain further, you should contact the Legal Ombudsman.


What will it cost?

1.  We will not charge you for handling your complaint.


2.  Please note that if we have issued a bill for work done on the matter, and all or some of the bill is not paid, we may be entitled to charge interest on the amount standing.


3.  The Legal Ombudsman service is free of charge.